Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Time the avenger...

The most common excuse I hear as a weight loss and fitness coach is that people claim that they do not have time. Healthy eating and exercising is reserved for those who work part time, or not at all, and have all day to accomplish these tasks. We all have the same amount of time in our day. I know that some people work long hours (I am one of them), but we have to be creative about how we spend our time.

Healthy Diet: I spent 2 hours on Saturday creating 12 healthy recipes that can be assembled in 5 minutes and cooked in the microwave. I can prepare these on weeknights when I don't have an hour to spend in the kitchen. That was 2 hours I will never have back, but think of the time I will save using my recipes over the next several months.

Exercise: If you don't have 30 minutes to exercise (as is currently recommended 5 days/week), break it up. Take 10 minutes in the morning for a brisk walk. Grab a weight or resistance band and strength train for 10 minutes in the middle of the day. Follow dinner with a 10 minute walk at night, or play with your kids. Yes, this counts as your 30 minutes and it really is that simple.

One final thought, if you feel you have limited time, don't waste it. Activities like watching television and hours of Internet surfing or video-gaming may feel necessary and relaxing, but does it get you where you want to be? I have not turned on the TV in years and do not plan to start now. I use the internet as a tool to find things and to write this blog. And as for video-gaming, other than the occasional game with my 7 year old, who has the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment