Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Are you in balance?

Is something out of whack in your life? Do you get enough sleep? Do you eat the right mix of proteins, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber? Are you at an appropriate weight? Do you have enough time to spend with your family? Is your career fulfilling, or is it just a job? Do you engage in some form of exercise or physical activity? Do you find time to relax and unwind?

Several years ago, I asked myself these questions. I had gained weight during pregnancy, which (thankfully) came off when I went back to work. You might say "great, you're lucky". That was only one way to look at it. The weight came off because I was working long hours in a physically demanding job as a large animal veterinarian. I was probably stronger than I have ever been due to the constant pulling, pushing, and moving to and fro, but I was not leading a life in balance. My career consumed most of my time, as I frequently worked nights and weekends. Being a large animal veterinarian was a lifestyle. The problem was, I saw my clients more than my family, and with my husband working, our son spent more time in daycare than at home, and when he was home, he was colicky and cranky. My life was out of balance, as I had a fulfilling career and fitness, but not much else.

I changed to a desk job as a consultant, which had fewer demands on my time, and allowed me to focus on family. The problem became lack of fitness. My previously strong body turned to mush, and there was more of it. I had more time with my family, but did not have much energy due to my lack of fitness. I was not sleeping well (a direct result of a lack of activity).

I had to make conscious decisions to bring life back into balance. I had to plan meals and snacks carefully, schedule time to exercise, stick to a routine bedtime, and plan time for family activities. Balance takes planning!

If you are maintaining your current weight, then your calorie intake and calorie expenditure are in balance. You may not be healthy, but at least those things are in balance. If you have been gaining weight, there is a lack of balance in the calorie consumption department. This may be a symptom of a bigger problem. Go through the questions at the beginning of this blog post and answer them critically. Only you can bring your life back into balance. Start the necessary changes today!

No comments:

Post a Comment